Saturday 9 July 2011

Thing 4: current awareness

RSS feeds

I've been using RSS feeds for a couple of years now I think. I came across Bloglines first shortly after I started reading a few blogs, so I used that until it was due to be closed. I believe it's still running after being bought, but in the meantime I switched to Google Reader, preferred it and stuck with it. Now, like many others, I couldn't live without it. It's great for current awareness and keeping up to date with what's going on in library world. (I mainly use it for library and information stuff, fearing complete information overload if I branched out into other areas. Ok, except for Lolcats which makes me smile, and was recommended by Phil Bradley at a workshop I went to, so counts as library related.)

Also like many others, I've learned to feel ok if I don't read everything that comes through. As Woodsiegirl commented in her post, it can feel obligatory to read everything to start with. I've found it's very much about scanning for what looks relevant and interesting to me, and leaving the rest. If it's really important, it will come up again through other discussions, even if I missed it first time. There just isn't enough time to read it all, unless you have a Hermione Granger-style time turner, or maybe a TARDIS (although that's generally less reliable). I try and keep it manageable so that it's a useful tool rather than a stress-inducing one.

Image courtesy of verbeeldingskr8



Twitter

Ah, Twitter. Librarians love it. I am not yet on it. I say yet, because I think the day will come when I do join, but I'm not sure that today is that day. CPD23 is all about trying new things in a supportive network, and I am pretty convinced by the arguments for its worth in terms of being part of a network. I even try and explain to people how it's being used other than for celebrities and 'what I ate for breakfast', despite not having joined myself, which is rather hypocritical. Like Google Reader, I'm sure it will take time to get used to it and use it effectively, and I want to be able to devote enough time to it from the off. I may well change my mind as this programme progresses, but for now I'm going to stick with blogging and RSS feeds for current awareness.

Pushnote

I haven't come across Pushnote before. Before trying it out I read some lukewarm views of other cpd23ers, which hasn't made me very keen to use it. I'll try and give it a go soon though. We use IE at work so I wouldn't be able to use it there, but I do use Firefox at home. Who knows, I might love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment