Friday 29 July 2011

Thing 7: face-to-face networks and professional organisations

I've been a member of CILIP for over a year now. It's been great joining as a student because of the discount. Full membership is quite expensive, but I want to charter after I qualify so I intend to stay a member. As with many of these things, the more I put in the more I'm sure I will get out, so its value is really down to me. I went to the New Professionals Information Day last year which I thought was great. One of the sessions was about the value of getting involved by joining a committee or similar, and I think it's something I might like to do in the future. I like the opportunities that professional organisations offer for face-to-face networking, although I haven't been to many events. Sure, it can be nervewracking talking to strangers, but it's different from online networking and I think both are important. I think I also just like feeling part of a national organisation of like-minded people and feeling represented somehow - maybe not the most practical reason for being a member, but there you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment